Monday, March 1, 2010

Combine: Spiller hopes speed equals staying power


ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. called Spiller an "all-purpose dynamo," likening Spiller to Reggie Bush of the Saints and Felix Jones of the Cowboys, both big-play threats with multiple skills.

"He gives you so many dimensions and so much versatility as a runner, receiver and return man," said Kiper. "He can do all those things and give you the all-purpose yardage and be a great decoy, too. Run him on a reverse, or fake a reverse and he'll take (defensive) guys with him."

Spiller was regarded as perhaps the fastest running back in the draft and didn't disappoint in the 40-yard dash Sunday. NFL Network initially reported he ran a time of 4.28 seconds, but NFL.com later changed it to 4.37. Either way, it was extremely fast.

Spiller scored 21 touchdowns of 50 yards or more at Clemson and became the ACC's career leader in all-purpose yardage (7,588). He became the first player in NCAA history with at least 3,000 yards rushing, 2,000 yards in kickoff returns, 1,000 yards receiving and 500 yards in punt returns.

He was the only FBS player to score a touchdown in every game last season and was named the ACC player off the year.

He said he is honored to be compared to Bush, a former Heisman Trophy winner at Southern Cal, but that he doesn't pattern his game after anyone else.

"Everybody's going to compare me to whomever," he said. "Like I tell people all the time, every running back is different. I can't go to an organization and try to be Reggie Bush. It's just not going to happen. The only thing I can do is just try to go be C.J. Spiller."

Spiller's excitement about being at the combine was obvious.

"As a little kid, it's something that you dreamed about, playing in the NFL," he said. "You just try to do whatever it takes to get to that level. Now that I'm here, I haven't stopped working, haven't gotten complacent (and) continue to work hard because I have not yet arrived at the potential I want to be at."

Despite the praise coming Spiller's way, he fielded questions this week rooted in skepticism about whether at 5-11 1/2, 196 pounds he is big enough to be durable in the pros.

"Everyone can voice their own opinion," he said. "The only thing I can do is just go out there and perform. I can't worry about that. I know I play the game with a lot of passion, and I'm going to go out there and compete at the highest level, no matter my size or my height."

Spiller also downplayed any concerns that he wouldn't be able to get tough yards as an inside runner.

"That's pretty much what we did at Clemson," he said. "We ran inside, did a lot of zone blocking inside, did a lot of power downhill running. I think by me doing that, hopefully I showed people I can also be an inside runner as well as a good outside runner."

Unlike some skill players, Spiller doesn't sound as if he hopes to be a short-timer as a return man in the pros.

"I take a whole lot of pride in playing on those special teams, especially kickoff return and punt return," he said. "That's something I love to do. Special teams can win or lose a game for you. That's something I enjoy doing. I think I'm pretty good at doing it.

"Hopefully, I can help an organization by doing it so teams can't just key on me as being a slot guy or just running the ball from the backfield, and I can go in and help that team out in any way."

Spiller also said he takes seriously his role as a pass receiver, which should serve him well in the NFL, where the passing game may never have been more prominent than it is now.

"I take great pride in catching," he said. "That's something I grew up enjoying doing. Baseball kind of got (me) catching really good.

"That helps a running back. The more a running back can add to his game, I think the more dangerous he can become to defenses. It's just another opportunity of helping the offense."

His big-play ability often left teammates and opponents astonished, like his 92-yard touchdown kickoff return against Maryland last season, when he burst through defenders and ran the final 60 yards wearing only one shoe.

"He does things in a game that are just unbelievable," said former Clemson defensive end/linebacker Ricky Sapp, an early round draft prospect who's also participating in the combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment