Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Lewis Hamilton cuts Formula One ties with father Anthony


Lewis Hamilton has confirmed this morning that his father Anthony will no longer manage his career in Formula One, bringing an end to a partnership that has propelled him to the very pinnacle of motorsport.

Hamilton has always said he could never imagine life in Formula One without his father by his side and looking after his interests. But he has now come to the conclusion that it will be a “positive step” to have a professional manager and allow, as he put it, his father to be “just my dad” again.

“I’m 25 now and I think it was inevitable that there had to be change at some point,” said Hamilton who is preparing for the first race of the new Formula One season in Bahrain on March 14 alongside his new team-mate at McLaren, Jenson Button.

“Over the past few years we looked around to see if we could bring someone else into the picture to help with the situation - whether to help with guidance, or sponsors or whatever it was. We looked at it and I just never felt comfortable with anyone else. At the time I loved my dad being my manager and taking care of things, because I trust him,” Hamilton told Autosport magazine.

“I think now we’re at the point where we are looking to take that step - and I think it is a positive step,” he added.

There is no suggestion that the pair have fallen out and it remains to be seen whether Hamilton Snr will continue to attend every Grand Prix as he has done since his son joined the grid in 2007. However the timing of this announcement, on the eve of what promises to be a tough battle for the championship, seems a little odd.

"What I am really, really excited about now is having my dad just as my dad," Hamilton added. "I want to have a manager who can take care of all the stresses and do all the other stuff, and then I want to do dad things with my dad.

"I want to go for a beer with my dad. I want to go bowling with my dad. I want to go on holiday with my dad. Then I want to be able to say to him: 'How is GP Prep going?', and I want to be able to tell him about all the experiences I am having too - but as a dad.

"I want to be able to have that, and build that relationship. I want my dad to know, and I want everyone to know, he is always going to be my dad. This is us taking a natural progression step."

No comments:

Post a Comment